Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Dentist today

Well, went to the dentist today. I knew I had lost a filling a couple weeks after my last endoscopy (I seem to loose one every time).It was not just a filling (got a temp), but my whole wisdom tooth has to come out. It was split. Yes, cracked in half and a section missing. No wonder that thing was hurting so bad.

So, now I have $596 bill at this dentist office (previous cleaning, x-rays, temp filling, and then perm filling) and this temp filling with x-ray - I now have to have a wisdom tooth extraction. This again is about another 5 to 6 hundred dollar bill.


So yeah, when I left the dentist I was crying. I cry a lot these days - many times a day. I get overwhelmed by all of this. I am going to go ahead and make the appt for the extraction and see if they will consider a reduction of cost (what they would charge if I had ins). I am going to be talking to my dentist too and see if they will consider this too.

But you know what - I praise God for this part - my gums and teeth are very healthy. Many people with crohn;s and on the meds I am on struggle with gum disease and tooth decay (from the crohn's itself, meds, and inflamation). The meds cause decalcification of bones and teeth and cause decay (I have some of the decalcification, but not bad). I already have osteoporosis, so this may be part of the reason the tooth split.

And also, I needed the wisdom tooth out anyway. All 4 have grown in side ways. It won't be a simple extraction. I will have to be put under general anesthesia. There is no way they are going to be able to cut that tooth out with me awake
(I lost my dental ins when my mother retired).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment