Saturday, October 22, 2011

Stelara Denied Again

Well,  1st level of appeal went through to the insurance company.  They denied the Stelara again.  We found out Friday from the gastro department nurse.  She said that Dr Cangemi was already aware and working on the 2nd level appeal.

We should know something by the end of next week.

Here are some facts about Stelara. Stelara Info

There is a long list of side effects. Most of these meds have a horribly long list of possible side effects and they can be quite scary.  But at this point in my life, I would rather take the chance and have a good quality of life with my son and be able to pursue my dreams and visions without pain.  Even if it is for a few years.

I have been through nearly 12 years of medications in a similar class (mono-clonial antibodies - MAB) but previously they have been anti-TNF alpha meds.  This is my first try at the Interlukins.  After all the years on TNF blockers, my body became resistant to their effect.  We are hoping that by switching to another form of MABs that this could give me 4+ years of relief. Each of the TNF's did.  And by the time Stelara stops working, maybe there will be another Interlukin MAB out that will hold me for a few more years.

I may eventually have to have the surgery, but having this med may be able to postpone it for a little while

No comments:

Post a Comment